What We Do
Pusaka is a non-profit organization, which works to support the continuity and viability of traditional performance arts in Malaysia. Pusaka works intimately with the most distinguished traditional performers to revitalize their living heritage and pass it on to the next generation.
Since 2002, Pusaka has been engaged in researching, documenting the various traditional performing arts performed in peninsular Malaysia as well as organizing performances and talks in various locations. We strive to ensure the authenticity of the cultural traditions through involving local communities while encouraging urban and rural youth to participate in our activities.
- Main Puteri documentation and training project in partnership with the Vijayaratnam Foundation Kuala Lumpur 2009 ‐ 2011
- Wayang Kulit collaboration with composer Adeline Wong and the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra in conjunction with Malaysia’s 50th Independence Day 2007
- Headlining performers of Festival L’Imaginaire 2007, Paris, France – Performed the Wayang Kulit, Mak Yong and Manora during the opening week of the month‐long festival of traditional music and dance
- DiGi’s Amazing Malaysians’ Cultural Heritage Project in Kelantan 2006 ‐ 2007 – Youth training for 80 school children in Dikir Barat, Wayang Kulit and the music of Mak Yong
- Ford Motor Company’s Conservation and Environmental Grants 2003 & 2004 – Wayang Kulit Instruction and Documentation Project
- US Ambassadors’ Fund for Cultural Preservation Grant 2003 – Manora Instruction and Documentation Project